British Western Shooting Society

Cowboy Action Shooting, the shortest way to the Old West short of owning a time machine!

Forums

Forum Home > General Discussion > Western action shooting rules and the LeMat revolver

Doc Holliday

From what I understand, pistol stages usually consist of 10 shots. Now, the Lemat Cavalry revolver has a 10 shot capacity. Does that mean a stage could be shot with a single LeMat instead of two five/six guns? 

Not sure where the rules stand with this, so input appreciated :).

February 20, 2016 at 2:37 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Angel Eyes

Hi Doc, interesting question! As I understand it, the pistol has a 9 shot .44cal ball capacity and a .65 cal shot barrel which may not count as your tenth shot at pistol targets.

It could possibly require a one chamber reload, "on the clock" unless you were to load the shot barrel with a .65 ball!

You will have to get an adjudication from Alan on this one but it sure would be interesting to watch you fumble to change the hammer over under pressure!

--

Angel Eyes

February 21, 2016 at 4:01 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Doc Holliday

Yeah, that tenth shot with the 20g will be contentious. I think it's consistent in terms of "spirit of the game". After all, it's still being shot from a revolver pistol (even if it is a shotgun load) and is consistent with how it would have been used in the day (i.e. as a side arm and not a long gun).

As for the .65 round ball, I suspect it might cause problems with backstop rating. My local range only allows up to .50 cal solid projectile. I suspect many other ranges are the same. 

Eagerly awaiting Alan's verdict!

February 21, 2016 at 11:18 AM Flag Quote & Reply

woody

does this mean that you would not be on an empty chamber while holsterd ?? may make a difference

--
February 25, 2016 at 5:12 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Braders

that's a very good point woody!

--

February 25, 2016 at 10:33 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Doc Holliday

Yep, fully loaded with the hammer down on a safety notch in between chambers. Just like the 5 shot revolvers are holstered.

February 25, 2016 at 11:47 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Malamute Jack

While the Lemat might sound tempting - you might want to look at reviews of them on YouTube etc... Before you decide.

The design of the loading lever is inherently weak and they are not known for reliability.

March 3, 2016 at 6:53 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Doc Holliday

Really, I need to get some kind of an official decision on whether it's BWSS compliant. No point in even considering it otherwise. Even if it was deemed acceptable, I may well choose something else anyway as it's very expensive.

As for reviews, the loading lever gets mentioned a lot. It's something to bear in mind, but not a total deal-breaker. It can always loaded by other means.  Not heard complaints about reliability though.

March 6, 2016 at 4:39 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Malamute Jack

On reliability - the normal chambers are generally reliable when it comes to cap ignition, but people often have a problem with the central cap - apparently the hammer arrangement is less than perfect.

March 11, 2016 at 9:13 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Angel Eyes

I would have one of these, but only from the curiosity point of veiw, variation and funds permitting! I dont think I would attempt competition use with one. We ran a "Josey Wales" stage yesterday and all four of my pistols ran faultlessly, not so well for my Marlin which  managed the "Marlin jam" right in the middle of the run!

--

Angel Eyes

March 13, 2016 at 5:06 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Malamute Jack

From the point of historical collection and shooting, I would also love to own one of these, along with a Howdah pistol.

I think both would be grate for club shooting, but the dropping loading lever on the Lemat would need some attention.

Living in the UK and slots being precious, they sit a long way down the list behind 1860 Army's and 1862 Navy pockets on my wish list!

March 13, 2016 at 10:11 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Malamute Jack

PS: I think it would be great if I learnt to type keys in the right order!

March 13, 2016 at 10:36 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Doc Holliday

Malamute Jack at March 11, 2016 at 9:13 AM

On reliability - the normal chambers are generally reliable when it comes to cap ignition, but people often have a problem with the central cap - apparently the hammer arrangement is less than perfect.

Yeah, that flip-down hammer design looks like it reduces travel distance. Combined with the centre cap being closer to the pivot of the hammer, I can imagine it causing light-strike issues.

March 15, 2016 at 6:40 PM Flag Quote & Reply

BWSS
Site Owner

Unfortunately as far as I'm aware , the Lemat revolver can't be used, as you can't hold 10 shots with a empty chamber for the safety chamber, which is a requirement for Cowboy Action Shooting.

I know several of the firearms we shoot have the safety Notch, but these can be very tricky to get the hammer into, I have personally seen experienced shooters struggle to drop the hammer into the notch. That is why we require the safety chamber.

Again I am not the leeding authority on the rules, you would just need to check with Alan

March 31, 2016 at 8:35 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Doc Holliday

Is Alan the only one with a copy of the rules? Perhaps it would be beneficial to have them posted on the website.

April 1, 2016 at 7:14 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Doc Holliday

I've reviewed the rule book and here's what I've found...

There's a dedicated section for shotgun and rifles specs, but no section on revolver specs. This would be a useful addition.

Revolvers are required to be ".32 cal to .45 cal with non adjustable sights or adjustable traditional sights". This might be a problem for the LeMatt - depends if it pertains to the barrel or perjectile diameter.

"Competitors using 6 shot percussion revolvers may cap only 5 chambers" + "Six-guns are always loaded with only five balls or cartridges". The booklet makes no comment about competitors using non six-shot revolvers. This makes things ambiguous, not only for the LeMatt, but for 5 shot guns as well.

June 6, 2016 at 7:18 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.

Oops! This site has expired.

If you are the site owner, please renew your premium subscription or contact support.